2,000 SF Addition | 1,000 SF Renovation
Wood shakes and stucco provide the final layer to this tight envelope super insulated passive solar house. A new wing housing bedrooms and a living room was added to an existing caretaker's cottage. The existing masonry structure was wrapped - roof and walls - with a thick layer of rigid insulation.
The attention to architectural detail, energy efficient design, and indoor air-quality make this charming storybook house cozy both inside and out. Using local, recycled and natural materials, even the interior wood stain contained ingredients such as rosemary and orange peel oil.
photos: Tom Bernard and Paul Jeremais
- Diane M. Fiske, "Empty nest is way toocomfy to leave now" The Philadelphia Inquirer May 8, 2011
- "Green Architects and Builders" Philadelphia Home Spring 2008: 58-59
- "Dream Weavers." Philadelphia Inquirer: Lifestyle Magazine Feb. 2008
- West, Judy. "Beyond Birkenstocks." Philadelphia Inquirer Feature Article Feb. 3 2002: 14-17
- Goldsmith, Diane. "It Isn"t Easy Being Green." Philadelphia Inquirer Feature Article June 6 1999: E1+